At Oasis Academy Short Heath every child has the chance to access a variety of enriching experiences from Nursery through to Year 6. We build this into day-to-day lessons but also through organising special events, day trips, visitors, and family events.
One of our key enrichment programmes is our Music programme. We invite musicians from the Music Services for schools, they run workshops within the Nursery and Primary school and have a plethora of instruments for our young people to explore.
Another one of our key enrichment programmes is our Forest Schools programme. Not only do we have our own school Forest school, there is the opportunity for our Main school pupils to go to Sutton Park to complete a range of Forest School activities with a trained Forest Schools Teacher. For our Nursery pupils, we have easy access to our Academy’s Forest school to aid activities such as Mini Beast Hunts, Pond dipping, Bird watching, Den Building and many other outdoor learning activities like tree rubbings and building a bug hotel.
We also organise whole school creative curriculum afternoons which are linked to world National days. These activities are exciting ways to get our pupils interested in and inspired by the world around them. Building new skills, we aim to help our children gain a better understanding of how to be in the wider world. Some examples of our most successful creative curriculum events have been:
- St George’s Day: Creating a new English National Anthem.
- International Dance Day: All classes creating a short dance routine for a piece of music which has been edited together into 1 dance video!
- VE Day- creating a pointillism Flag
- Space Day 2021: Designing and making a clay alien.
- World Ocean’s Day: Recycling a plastic bottle to become a Money box
- The Queen’s official birthday: Making scones and enjoying afternoon Tea in classrooms.
- World Music Day:-.Learning and practising a song to perform on TEAMS show!