Nursery and EYFS
Our approach to learning
The learning programme in our Nursery is based on the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum. We have a vision and a mission to develop confident, happy children, equipped with foundations to nurture a lifelong love of learning.
At Little Explorers we work as one unit so your child will be taught and supported by all the adults in the setting. We believe that children thrive when the environment is managed by the adults but led by the children’s interests.
Principles of early years teaching and learning
The EYFS is based upon four principles:
- A Unique Child
- Positive Relationships
- Enabling Environments
- Learning and Development
To ensure effective Early Years practice takes place at Little Explorers we follow and build upon these principles within our early years teaching and learning.
At Little Explorers we aim to:
- Provide holistic learning in a safe, inspiring, and enriching environment through which all children thrive, are challenged and make outstanding progress emotionally, socially and educationally
- Ensure children enjoy coming to school
- Ensure no child is excluded or disadvantaged.
- Enable children to actively contribute towards making the setting buzz with fun and purposeful learning.
- Build on what children already know and can do.
- Offer a structure for learning that has a range of starting points, content that matches the needs of the cohort and activity that provides opportunities for learning both indoors and outdoors.
- Support children in making an effective transition from home to school.
As a team we seek to engage with and value contributions from parents, professionals, and the local community to ensure best outcomes for children and best value for Oasis Academy Short Heath.
We foster a harmonious atmosphere which supports and promotes self-esteem. We build confident communicators supporting every child as an individual across development in all areas of the Early Years and Foundation Stage. We help every child to grow up feeling confident about their own identity, in a spirit of friendship, understanding fairness and the rights of others, valuing diversity, and ready to be a British citizen.
Areas of learning covered in our Nursery Curriculum include the following:
- Communication and Language
- Physical Development
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
Communication and Language
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
Understanding the World
Expressive Arts and Design
The team at Little Explorers will observe your child and plan activities so they can develop in these areas of learning whilst having fun in play. This makes sure they have the skills they need for school and future life.
Our multi-sensory teaching approach and activities cater for individual learning styles and give your child experiences that develop their skills and knowledge.
Each day your child attends Nursery, we provide them with the opportunity to interact in positive relationships and enabling environments. We support them in connecting with their educational goals and we give them the time to test their own skills by engaging in play, child-initiated, and teacher directed activities.